Friday 11 June 2010

Using Things Up

For the last ten years I've always had a lot of products waiting around to use up. That meant that I'd usually have a lot of them open and on rotation. I'd use something for a few weeks, get bored with it and open something else. Doing this meant that I rarely used anything up. This year, since I started trying to use up my skin care products and get down to my ideal stash size I've been using one or two of each product at a time. It's made a big difference in how quickly I get through things. I'm also not allowing myself to start a new product until I've used one up.  

I've been really surprised at how quickly I'm using things up now that I use them exclusively. I generally go through a day cream in two months. Who would have guessed that? Face serums last about two months also and night creams last about three months. I haven't used up an eye cream yet, so I can't say how long they last, but I'd guess at about five to six months.

Cleansers last approximately two months, face scrubs four months and body lotions six weeks. Shampoo and conditioner seem to last forever and so do body scrubs and shower gels. Eye make-up removers go really quickly, in about four to five weeks.

So for all of you wondering how I use things up so quickly, that's my secret. 


Now if only I could manage the same thing with my make-up.....

7 comments :

  1. great advice! I do that with Shampoo, combine them. Anyway, You are my role model with my use up project. I have used up my face wash, moisturizer, conditioner, lip gloss, lip pencil, etc. I feel so good about it. I have even hit pan with a powder foundation, and I am in the process of using up a foundation. thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a box with all my used up products :) feel so proud cos i like scrape the last bit out of each haha im going to do like a mass review on all of them :) cos there are like some that i dont even wanna touch again cos the product was that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started doing the same thing, and it has helped me use up items and get my stash down considerably. However i am having issues using up makeup. I have been using the same products exclusivly (at least on weekdays) and yet i still have yet to finish a single makeup item in 3 months (or more)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so dilligent! I cant remember what the last thing I used up was, it might have been a lip gloss but I'm not entirely sure D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing so well! I tried to use up a lipstick but got bored and went back to my usual routine :O

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an insipiration!! I'm gona join you in trying to use up my "less loved" products. Minimalist lifestyle, here I come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was doing the same as you, using different products on a whim and never really using up a whole bottle before starting something new. I am now though!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!