Friday 29 September 2017

FFS Friday - Explosions

Oh my goodness. You know how you have those parenting days/weeks/months where you think you aren't going to survive? We've had one of those weeks. The stupid thing about weeks/days like that is I don't take care of myself which makes me feel even worse. I eat sugar in an effort to help my stress levels but it doesn't help, it makes me feel worse. Silly.

It's been cold and wet so the kids have been stuck inside. Eljay doesn't mind but Chai goes mad. He can't cope with being stuck inside all day. 

I've been taking them out as often as I can, going to the library, setting up obstacle courses in the house etc, but it's not enough for Chai.

His behaviour gets worse and worse, his sensory issues escalate and his anxiety is through the roof. I feel so helpless when he's like this. I can help his sensory problems but have no idea what to do about the anxiety. It's times like this I wonder how I will cope homeschooling him.

Yesterday I was sure that I was going to explode. I tried to arrange catch ups with a few friends but they were all busy. By 8am we'd been awake for three hours and Chai was off his trolley. Tantrums, hurting his brother, screaming etc.

I took them to a playground but it was freezing cold and Chai wouldn't play because his clothes were uncomfortable so we came back home again. He got changed and we headed to Kmart to get some slime in the hope that would keep them quiet for a few minutes. 

On the way home we decided to stop at the park. I didn't have a book or water bottle with us as we hadn't been planning on going out. I usually have a bottle of water in the car but we'd drunk it all so I'd taken it inside and forgotten to put it back in the car. 

The kids played whilst I sat on the chair fuming and trying to cheer myself up. After a few minutes some other kids came to play and the boys were happy. Their mother came over so we sat there chatting and I started feeling a little better. A while later a lady I'd met earlier in the week turned up so we all stood around chatting whilst our kids played. 

We stayed at the park for three and a half hours and got home in the late afternoon. We all felt so much better, it was wonderful. 

That's one thing I love about living in the country, everyone is so friendly. A few hours at the park is all we needed to restore our spirits and reset our mood. 

Here's hoping next week is a better week. 

2 comments :

  1. It's so nice to have a chat with people sometimes isn't it - a little bit of string-free adult time seems like it would be needed with kids, do you feel that way? I am only guessing and think I will be the same when I am a SAHM soon with my little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adult time is definitely needed! It makes such a difference having a chat with other adults. Not long now till your little one is here, so exciting!

      Delete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!