Friday 7 October 2022

FFS Friday - Be still my beating heart

Hello beautiful people. How are you all? I hope you've had a good week. 
Ours has been quiet because of Chai's injury. Here's what happened:

Last week we were on a play date at the skate park. We live there now. We go almost every day and spend at least two hours there. The boys are really good on their scooters. They always wear helmets and don't do anything stupid.

So, we're on the play date, it was just Chai and I because Eljay was away. I saw Chai go into the bowl, next thing he comes out, covered in blood and screaming for me. That's one of the worst feelings as a parent, seeing your child running towards you covered in blood.

He had a huge gash on his head, just above his eye and it was bleeding all over the place. His face, hands, shirt, shorts, legs and shoes were all covered in blood. I could see his skull through the wound. It wasn't nice.

The car park is about 100 meters away and the first aid kit was in the car. I won't be making that mistake again. From now on when we go to the skate park the first aid kit will be in the skate bag. 

Anyhow, Chai was naturally very upset. I lay him down to calm him down and get him to stop yelling. I only had a few tissues in my bag and nothing that I could use to stop the bleeding. Thankfully a young teenager gave us a bandage and another lady gave us some gauze and cleaning patches. Chai was really upset so I gathered our things together and we walked to the car. 

On the way to the hospital we called Tiger to get him to meet us at the hospital. He was in a loud area so said he'd call us back. We got to the hospital and Chai was starting to get a bit woozy. At the front of the hospital they have a tent set up, you have to go there, sanitise, put on a face mask and answer questions before they'll let you into the hospital. Sometimes they'll refuse to let you in. Anyhow, as soon as they saw us coming they got a wheel chair. Chai refused to sit in it but was he was wobbling all over the place I made him sit down. I managed to sanitise my hands and grab a face mask then we went into the emergency department. 

As usual the emergency department was full. Tiger still hadn't called so I sent him  a photo of Chai sitting in the wheelchair covered in blood with the message "You need to leave work now." I didn't need him there and could have left him at work for the day but I'm over dealing with these things on my own. As soon as he saw the photo he called to see what had happened and left work.
 
Thankfully kids covered in blood with head injuries are seen very quickly. We saw the triage nurse who put gauze and a big bandage on then sent us down to wait for a Dr. Whilst we were in with the triage nurse Chai's friend who he'd been on the play date with arrived. He was understandably very worried about Chai. 

I would have been happy for them to stay and sit with us, but thanks to covid rules they had to leave. 

We didn't have to wait long for the Dr to call us back. They checked Chai out, had a good look at his skull and got ready to stitch him up. I thought we'd have to stay in for the night but because he didn't lose consciousness, didn't have much of a headache and was very lucid we were able to go home.
 
Tiger arrived before they started stitching Chai up, but wasn't allowed to see him because of covid rules.
 
Chai ended up with seven stitches. The wound goes right through his eyebrow, which he's really pleased about because he's been wanting a "cool eyebrow scar" for years now. 
 
I still have no idea how his head got cut. His helmet fits well, doesn't move around and sits out 3cm's from his head. He said that he smashed it into the concrete edge, so he must have been on a funny angle. He had a slight bruise around the wound but no other marks. No redness, bruising or swelling. I'm really at a loss as to how it happened.
 
I am so grateful that he wasn't more seriously wounded. It was so awful, my Mummy heart is still feeling fragile. 

The first two nights he slept in my bed, after that he went back to his own room. He didn't have much pain at all and wanted to be up running around. Keeping him quiet was a challenge, especially on the school holidays. 

He got his stitches out a week later and seems not to have any lingering side effects. 

That's my exciting news for the holidays. 

Have a wonderful weekend beautiful people.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!