Friday 7 April 2017

FFS Friday - Small wins

This week we had a small win.

School is still a huge struggle with Chai. Getting him there is so, so difficult for everyone. For him, for Eljay and for us. 

Wednesday was awful. Chai cried all morning because he didn't want to go to school. I couldn't convince him to get dressed into his school clothes so we went to school with his shirt in his bag and his casual trackies on.

The only way I got him there was by telling him we had to drop his books off.

Once we got there he went into panic mode. He was doing everything he could to get out of there as fast as possible. The poor baby. He was streaming with tears and tugging at my arm as hard as he could.

To make things worse his beautiful teachers assistant wasn't there.

I spoke to his teacher who had a word to him but she couldn't talk him around. She wanted me to detach myself and leave but there was no way I was going to leave with him in that state.

Since he was in full on panic mode I took him outside to have a run around while the teacher got help. 

The psych told me that when he's in panic mode he needs big, full body movements to get rid of the adrenaline. 

We sat outside for a while and I got him to take deep breaths to calm down. After a while another teacher came to help us. He was lovely. He didn't try to talk Chai into doing anything, he just talked calmly and happily to Chai about being a ninja and doing ninja training. He got Chai to swing upside down and lift a barrel, then Chai decided that he wanted to see what was happening in his class!

We walked back to class, the teacher and Chai had a look inside then Chai gave me a hug and went into his class! I was so proud of him and relieved!


I can't believe that it was so easy to calm him down. Turns out the psych knows what she's talking about, who would have guessed, hehe.

It's amazing the difference it makes when he's dealt with appropriately. Now that I know how easy it is to calm Chai down, next time it happens I'll know who to ask for help and what to do. 

Small wins.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!