Friday 11 June 2021

FFS Friday - Say what?

We had another assessment appointment for Chai this week, this one was with a speech pathologists. 

So much time and money is spent trying to teach these kids how to interact with the world. How much time is spent teaching everyone else to interact with these kids who will soon become adults? There are so many neutrdivergent kids and adults around yet we're not teaching neurotypicals how to interact with them. Why should neurodivergent people change themselves to fit in with society? Why can't we just accept differences and let them be?
 
I think I'm missing a compassion gene. 
I've been reading about some people who came here by boat seeking asylum. They knew that anyone who came here by boat would not be settled in Australia. 
They applied for citizenship and were rejected so they've been appealing this decision for years. At every single stage of the appeal process they were told they would not be allowed to stay in Australia. 
Whilst they were appealing they were allowed to stay in a town. They had two children. Now they've reached the end of the appeal process and are facing deportation.
There's been a fuss made by the community saying that it's unfair and they should be allowed to stay in Australia. They're saying that it's not fair on the family or the kids.
I don't understand. 
They did something illegal. They knew all along what they were doing was illegal and that Australia doesn't accept illegal immigrants. Knowing this, they chose to have children. If leaving is unfair to the children, that's on them.

To me it's pretty simple. 
My bff thinks they should be allowed to stay. We had a good discussion about it but I still don't understand. 
Why would they think that they could break the law and get away with it?
How is that different to other people who commit a crime? We don't expect them to get away with it. What's the difference?
I genuinely don't understand. 
I've come to the conclusion that I must be missing a compassion gene, because I really just don't understand why people are so upset about this. 

Have a beautiful weekend lovely people. 
 
Edited to add: I've since had a discussion with a twitter friend who has explained the situation and now I understand why people are upset. People feel that the family should have been considered genuine refugees. If they were granted refugee status seeking asylum is not illegal and they would have been able to settle here. 

3 comments :

  1. You’re missing an empathy “gene”. You cannot empathise/understand how a mother would do what she has done for her family; simply because her reality is vastly different from yours. Literally picture yourself in her shoes. Read the details of her and her husbands life. Then tell me you wouldn’t do the same to stay and raise your family in a safe environment. For shame, your friend must have felt pity for you and your very narrow world view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People like you are what's wrong with social media and society in general. Instead of trying to explain so that I have a better understanding and can learn, you criticise, which doesn't help at all.
      This could have been a learning moment, where you explained to me why people are upset, instead you attacked which achieves nothing.
      Understanding helps us all change the way we view the world, people who are willing to take the time to help people see things from a different point of view are rare and valuable.
      Thankfully not everyone is like you.
      I had a twitter friend explain the situation to me and I now understand why people are so upset.
      Thank you for reminding me to update my post so that if other people are confused by the situation they too can understand.
      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Nice. I guess you are missing the Manners gene Anonymous!

    I get why the family want to stay. I get wanting to get out of a situation where prejudice is constantly and violently expressed.

    It happens here. In Australia. To native born Australians. Every day. But the community doesn't stand up. Why? Because there's a lack of the 'feel good factor' when it's happening to people who were born in the Lucky Country.

    Rather than attacking, try explaining. Empathy can be learned, just like manners.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!