Friday 19 February 2021

FFS Friday - Coffee

Hello Friday you beautiful thing. I hope you've all had a good week. Victoria, you're out of lockdown! Yay!
 
Now that Chai has a diagnosis I've been researching the therapies he'll need and the supports available to him. You know what's struck me? Everything is about teaching him to fit in with society, but I haven't seen anything about teaching society to deal with him. 
 
It's all about making the neurodiverse person adapt to everyone else. Considering that there are a large number of neurodiverse people, why isn't there any education teaching people how to interact with those who are neurodiverse? Surely that'd be the right thing to do.
 
I haven't even been able to find anything to help me learn how to deal with him. I'm sure there's something out there, I just haven't discovered it yet. 
 
As a society we should be able to cope with all types of people. I'd like to know how to deal with someone who's neurodiverse, so why isn't there some way I can learn? It should be taught in schools so that our next generation see neurodiverse people as being the same as anyone else. 
 
I'm also being told how awful the NDIS is to deal with. Parents and therapists have told me it's a nightmare, it's constant, unnecessary paperwork. That seems counter productive. You've got vulnerable people so you make their lives more difficult. NDIS is supposed to make things easier not harder. 
Fingers crossed that isn't my experience, but I'll keep you all updated. 
 
Poor Chai's had a rough few weeks. He's been super excited to be back at school but all that emotion gets overwhelming, so there have been lots of meltdowns. They're tough for him, Eljay and I. We get through them as best we can. I'm hoping that things will ease up once he's had a bit more time to settle in.
 
That's all I have to complain about this week. I can't think straight at the moment, there was a storm last night, which woke Chai up and he couldn't get back to sleep for hours, so I've been awake since 2.15am. Send me all the coffee.
 
Have a wonderful weekend beauties. 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!