Friday 2 August 2019

FFS Friday - Sad

This week I had an epiphany. I was reading about parents who had trouble toilet training their kids and was very confused. I didn't toilet train my boys. When they showed signs of being ready I just created an environment where using the toilet/potty was easy. I put the potty in the lounge room, we read books about using the toilet and didn't put pants on them so using the potty was easy. 

That got me thinking about homeschooling and I realised that all I have to do is create an environment where learning is easy. For a few minutes I thought that I didn't know how to make learning easy, then I realised that I do. All I need to do is have interesting things around so that they want to learn about them. Children (and most adults) are naturally curious, so I just have to pique their curiosity. Easy.

Well not that easy, but theoretically it should be easy. I just have to figure out how to have interesting things around. I suppose I could get a pile of different things and just swap them around, but I want the boys to choose what they're interested in, not me to make it up for them.  I suppose at the age they're at they're interested in most things. Yesterday they were asking about mosquitoes. Maybe nature is the answer. They're both very interested in animals and how things work so maybe if I start with nature and the environment I'll get the hang of it.

I'll let you know how I go.

Right. Now it's time to talk about what's been getting my goat this week. Actually, I've got nothing. I'm sure there's plenty but I've blocked it out. 
So let's talk about Chai. I'm thinking that I might have to medicate him. 

I really don't want to, it's something I've been trying to avoid but I think we may have reached a point where he needs it. My poor baby. He has funny tics and habits caused by anxiety. Whilst they are quite irritating to me they haven't caused him any concern until the last few weeks. He's always been aware of them but when he's mentioned it we haven't made a fuss so he's been okay. Now he's worried about some of the tics and he asks about them every night. A few nights ago he was crying because he's scared he'll go blind. 

When his tics and habits were only annoying me I didn't mind, but them upsetting him is not okay. I hate the thought of him being on medication from such a young age and the effect that it could have on him really scares me, however I won't have him upset at things he can't control. 

This week we start the process of getting a diagnosis for him. I really don't want to go down this path, I just want to fix everything and make him okay. 
If only it were that simple.  


No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!