Friday 26 July 2019

FFS Friday - Stuff

This world is such a strange place. We spend years trying to aquire stuff and then later on spend ages trying to get rid of the stuff. It all seems so pointless. We strive for more and more without thinking about if that more will enrich our life and make us happier. I reckon 90% of the time it won't make us happier.

I've been looking around our house lately and thinking about all the time that we've swapped for the possessions we have. That's what it comes down to. Each item in our home has cost us time. It's time that Tiger has spent working away from us to purchase things. Frankly, I'd rather have the time than most of the things.

No matter how much I try to declutter, there's still an overwhelming abundance of stuff. A good portion of it belongs to the kids, I suppose that a certain amount of clutter comes when you have children. 

I'm glad I have no attachment to most of our stuff. I'd happily toss most of the contents of our home. I'm not sure when having heaps of stuff became the norm and something that we aimed for. It wasn't like that when I was a kid. Personally I think social media has a lot to do with it. We see what other people have and we want it. 

I'm making a conscious effort to only buy things that we need. It's easy to tell myself I need something, however 90% of the time it's a want not a need. I'm also trying to teach the boys the difference between needs and wants. So far it's not working. This morning Chai insisted that he needs a spiderman suit. When I told him it's a need not a want he told me that he doesn't have one and he wants to be spiderman, so he needs it. I suppose when you think of it like a child would, he's right. Hahaha.

Have a beautiful weekend.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!