Tuesday 7 May 2019

Cracked Lip Heros

The last few weeks I've had awful cracked lips, they've been so painful. It got me thinking about the different lip balms that I use.

I have everyday lip balms, dry lip balm, flaking lip balms and cracked lip balms.

Today I'll show you the balms I pull out when my lips are cracked and sore.





I have two trusty balms that I've been using for years and a new one that I discovered a few weeks ago.

Carmex
Carmex was the first lip balm I found that healed my cracked lips. When I was younger I had permanently cracked lips, I'd wake up every morning with blood on my teeth from my lips bleeding. I tried every lip balm available at the chemist and nothing worked. In desperation I asked the pharmacist for something that would help and he sold me Carmex. Back then Carmex was kept behind the counter (not sure why). 
I took it home, put it on and I've never looked back. The relief was instant and within a day my cracked lips had started to heal. It was the first time in years that I had healthy lips. 
Since that day I've always had several pots of Carmex around the house. It's a balm that I'll never be without.  

Upon application Carmex feels soothing and cooling. Within a day my lips are no longer sore and after a few days the cracks are healed. When my lips are in this condition I'll apply balm every half an hour to make sure that they always have a good coating of balm on them. 

I've used the click sticks and squeeze tubes but don't find them to be quite as effective as the original potted balm. I'll use them when I'm out and about just for convenience but my preference is always the balm pot.

Burt's Bees Beeswax
I didn't think I'd find anything that could equal my beloved Carmex until I discovered Burt's Bees. 

There is little difference in the two of them, they're both excellent. I find Carmex slightly more healing, so use Carmex exclusively the first day that my lips are cracked then I alternate between Carmex and Burt's Bees from the second day. I love the convenience of the tube and that it doesn't contain petrolatum.

Burt's Bees is matte, so ideal for wearing under lipstick. It makes a great primer, out of all the lip primers I've tried this is my favourite and also the cheapest.


Blistex Medicated Relief
This is new to me. I picked it up a few weeks ago because I wanted something small to fit in my jacket pocket. I wasn't sure it'd help because it contains sunscreen, but it's turned out to be a great balm.

Blistex Medicated Relief has the soothing feel that the other two balms have with a light texture that  works really well under other lip products. 
It needs to be applied lightly as it leaves a white cast when I use a heavy hand. 
I don't find this to be as soothing as Carmex, however it's great for when I'm out of the house due to the small size and slant tipped applicator. 

What are your cracked lip saviours? Do you use different balms for different lip issues?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!