Monday 30 July 2018

How to make the transition to natural deodorant


Deodorant is one of those every day essentials that most of us can't live without. It's also one of the products that really polarises the beauty world, some claim traditional deodorants can cause cancer, others say it can't. I don't know if it can or it can't, however I decided to make the switch to natural deodorant when I was pregnant and breastfeeding because I didn't like the idea of having chemicals so close to my babies head.

Finding a natural deodorant proved problematic. I have sensitive skin so can't use deodorant with bicarb soda in it, which is what most natural deodorants use. Finding a bicarb free natural deodorant that actually works was extremely difficult. Thankfully now there are a lot more natural deodorants available, so it's easier to find the right one.

I started my search for an effective natural deodorant around eight years ago. A lot of the deodorants I tried just didn't work. Others said that you needed to give your pits a month to detox before the deodorant would start to work. With that in mind, making the switch to natural deodorant isn't as simple as it sounds.

If you are going to make the switch, I recommend starting in winter when you don't sweat as much. Those of you who are used to wearing an antiperspirant may notice wetness, as natural deodorants don't stop sweating, they just control odour. I'm not sure if a detox is necessary, I didn't seem to have/need one, I just switched to natural deodorant and kept on trying different versions until I found one that worked for me.

Louella from Kiss Ready taught me that you need two different deodorants as hormonal changes can mean the deodorant isn't as effective at certain times of the month. Since Louella told me that I've noticed my deodorant does stop working at certain times during the month. To combat this I switch between two, when one stops working I switch to the other one for a few days, then switch back to my regular one.  

Once you've adjusted to using natural deodorant, you might find there are days when you don't need deodorant. I find that I have less body odour now and don't need deodorant during winter.

In summer I'll reapply my deodorant at lunchtime, the same as I would have when I wore traditional deodorant.

Of all the natural deodorants I've tried, my favourites are: Kiss Ready Skin Natural Deodorant, Alcome Co Bearly There Natural Deodorant Balm, Black Chicken Remedies Axilla Deodorant Paste Barrier Booster and The Physic Garden Sensitive Deodorant.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!