Friday 27 July 2018

FFS Friday - Shoulda, coulda, woulda

Hello Friday, you beautiful thing. 
I've changed the font I use, what do you think? Keep or go back to the old font?
So lovers, what's been happening this week? Any news? Do tell.
I don't know what to talk about today. We've had a wet and windy week, lots of severe weather warnings, lots of rain, it's been lovely. 

Who else takes their kids to the park when it's raining? I do. Tiger won't, he thinks they'll get sick if they get wet. Silly man. You get sick from germs not water. 
Anyhow, the kids love the park when it's raining. They get wet, they get dirty and they have a great time running around in the rain, flying down the slide, rolling in the dirt and splashing in puddles. They have more fun when it's raining than they do when it's dry.

I don't know why more people don't let their kids play in the rain, it's so much fun. We usually drive down to the park, I take four towels and a change of clothes, then when we get home they have a warm bath and they're happy. 

Childhood should be magical, fun and full of happy adventures.  

Yesterday it was raining and the boys were bored so they got three cans of shaving cream, put them all over the trampoline and had a wonderful time sliding around. When they were freezing cold they came inside, had a bath and warmed up in front of the fire.

Childhood should be free. No fuss, no rules, just fun and freedom. Childhood is short, adulthood is long. If we don't allow our children the freedom to enjoy their childhood, they're not going to be happy adults.

A few years ago I made the decision to say yes to the boys whenever I can. Instead of saying no, if it's at all possible I say yes. 
I ask myself "why not?" We've had so much fun doing this. They go swimming at the beach in winter, playing in the rain, following the garbage truck, looking at fire engines, talking to people working in the street and all sorts of other fun things.

I've realised that a lot of the things they ask are great ideas. It's not often they ask to do something that we can't do. If they want to go to the park in the rain, we go. If they want to go to the beach when it's freezing cold, we go. If they want to have a bath at 10am, they do. 
Why not? What valid reason would I have for saying no to things like that? The only reason I'd have for saying no is control. But why is that so important? Why do we think we need to control children? It doesn't make sense to me.

What difference does it make if they have a bath in the morning instead of the evening? None at all.
So what if they go outside and get wet in the rain? As soon as they start to feel cold they come inside, no harm done.
Who cares if they go out wearing a strange combination of clothes and their shoes on the wrong feet? If they're comfortable and happy with their outfit, that's great!

We have our whole adulthood to spend being responsible, being controlled and doing what we "should", I'm not going to make my boys behave that way any time soon. 

Stay wild my beautiful child. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!