Friday 22 June 2018

FFS Friday - Life is a highway

Oh crap. I forgot it was Friday, oops. Time for another round of what's annoying me this week and I've got.....nothing. Hmmmm. I blame this on Tiger. When he's home we spend all our time running around doing nothing. He finds the need to go out every day and yet we achieve nothing. It's exhausting.

If we were spending quality time with the kids I wouldn't mind, but we aren't we're just racing around to different shops for no reason at all. I don't like it.

Anyhow. I've been thinking about the sexism that women face every day. It happens so often that we don't even realise. Two examples immediately spring to mind. 

I mentioned last week that I needed to take my car to an auto electrician. I waited for Tiger to get home because I knew that if I took the car myself they'd treat me like a fool and charge me more. 

The second example happened yesterday. My BFF took her car to get serviced. When she picked it up the receptionist told her that one of her tyres was bald and needed replacing. 
Funnily enough, the tyre they were talking about was only three months old and very clearly not bald.

So the people at the car dealership, seeing a way to rip someone off, decided to tell her that her car needed work it didn't need. Instead of telling her themselves, they got the receptionist to do it. The perfect example of the every day sexism that women face. 

What concerns me is how to raise my boys so that they don't behave like that. We have talks about everyone being different and how we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. They know that women are special and should be treated with respect. I tell them that being stronger or bigger than someone doesn't make the other person silly or less deserving of respect. 

I imagine these discussions will change as they get older, they'll become more specific. I just worry that I'm not doing enough to make sure they grow into decent people. 

Time will tell.

Yesterday I lodged the paperwork for home schooling. I'm excited, relieved and very, very scared. I spoke to the moderator yesterday, she was helpful so I'm hoping we'll get along well (she does not have a good reputation, a lot of people have issues with her).  

Fingers crossed I can do a decent job of teaching my babies.

Have a beautiful weekend.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!