Friday 29 June 2018

FFS Friday - It's Friday!

I was talking to a friend last week about times when we've let men treat us in ways that we didn't want them to. We were both surprised how often it'd happened. After wondering why we'd allowed them to treat us that way, we both realised that we've never been taught about the rights we have over our body.

Why do women feel that they owe a man their body after he buys them a few drinks or a meal? Why do men feel that they have the right to our body and that a womans body can be bought with a few drinks or a meal?

Why are women seen to be on offer or for sale? That's what it equates to doesn't it? You buy a woman dinner and she owes you sex. No no no. Nothing gives you the right to another persons body.

So often the worth of a woman is seen to be in her looks. That's so wrong and so unfair. Last week I was watching the news and there was a large male reporter. 
Name the the last time you saw a large female reporter? I can't think of one. There are plenty of average looking men on tv every day. How often do you see an average looking woman on tv? Why do we put up with this?  

I tell my boys that they don't have the right to touch someone else without permission and I don't allow anyone to touch them without permission. I don't make them kiss or hug anyone they don't want to, including me. Eljay hates kisses, he rarely lets me kiss him. If I want to kiss him I ask permission, if he says no then I don't kiss him.
Chai loves affection, but I still don't force it on him. If he doesn't want to be touched that's okay. If we're playing games, tickling etc, as soon as they stop we stop. 

Learning to respect other people's bodies and boundaries starts with being shown that respect at home.

Parenting is such a scary thing. Being responsible for how someone turns out is such a huge deal.I try not to think about it too often, I'd send myself crazy if I did. 

In other news, poor Chai has four teeth coming through at once, two of them being molars. Life is cruel sometimes. Despite this he's been in good spirits and says that his mouth isn't sore so that's good.

Happy Friday lovelies, I hope you all have a beautiful weekend.

1 comment :

  1. Um, yeah. No. I was always taught that this is mine, and no-one touches without permission. I still hold to that - I have been told I have a ferocious 'Tough me not' attitude when I am in public. You want to touch, you wait til I say ok. Before that, I take your arm off and bludgeon you with it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!