Friday 20 October 2017

FFS Friday - You are not alone

To all the parents who feel like they are on the verge of a breakdown, you are not alone. I understand. I too sit here wondering where I went wrong and why parenthood is so tough. No-one told me it'd be like this. No-one told me I'd have days where I wondered wtf I'd gotten myself into and wondered why I'd so desperately wanted children.

No-one told me that I'd be pushed way beyond my limits and constantly feel like I was on the verge of a breakdown. No-one told me I'd have days and weeks were I didn't know how I'd get through the day with my sanity intact.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. I didn't sign up for this. I wanted to enjoy parenthood but instead I am barely hanging on. I have no idea where I went wrong. Every morning I plaster a smile on my face and pretend everything is okay but inside I'm screaming. I went to the Dr and told him I feel like I'm losing my mind. He said that's what being a parent is all about and it's why he works, so that he can escape from it. Helpful.

I read those articles about "how to get your children to stop fighting" and all that other stuff. It's crap. It doesn't work. Those positive, everything is rosy articles drive me crazy. They're such a load of rubbish.

There's something I've come to realise. We are resilient. Even though we feel like we can't continue, we do. Day after day we get up, show up and get things done.

Parenting is tough but we get through it, minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day.  

So from one slightly insane, barely keeping it together parent to another, we've got this.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!