Tuesday 28 October 2014

Nothing New November

As you may have guessed from the title, this year I'm doing Nothing New November. Emma I did it last year but I didn't blog about it. The more I think about it the more I realise that I am a consumer. I buy things. Things that I want, things that I convince myself I need, but really they are all things that I don't need and I buy them for the sake of buying things.

I think about this regularly and I think about the values that I want my boys to grow up with. Do I want them to grow up valuing things and not people? Do I want them to grow up always wanting things? No. So I need to teach them to value people and experiences instead of things. The best way I can do this is to lead by example. There's where No Buy November comes in.

For all of November I won't be buying anything I don't truly need. I will buy food, fuel etc but I will not buy: take away coffee, magazines, clothes (unless there's something I truly need), make-up, skin care (unless I run out of something), lip balm, candles and all the other unnecessary things I usually purchase. 

I'm thinking about doing this on a bigger scale too. The thought scares me but the more I think about it the more I want to reduce my frivolous spending. It's unnecessary and a waste of money. I read a blog called Inked in Colour. Sash has not bought anything new this year. She's going a whole year without buying anything new. Nothing new at all, no clothes, no presents, nothing. I admire her resolve.

My Nothing New project won't be so strict, in a way it will be similar to the Beauty Diet. I'm still thinking about how my Nothing New project will look and will post about it when I've decided. Meanwhile, for all of November I'm buying nothing unnecessary. Who wants to join me?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!