Saturday 29 June 2013

Thoughts of the month

1. Chai now dry retches every time I change one of his pooey nappies. I find this hilarious. I keep telling him that if he'd use the toilet or potty it wouldn't stink so much but he is ignoring me so far.

2. I don't understand why people take such pleasure in the misfortune of others. A few weeks ago I bumped into a friend who I used to work with many years ago (23 to be exact). We were quickly catching up on what has been happening in our lives, when she gleefully told me that she'd seen my ex and he'd broken up with his wife so was selling the family home. They have three children and have been together for 18 years. She looked really surprised when I said that I was sorry to hear that and I thought it was very sad for them. I'm really not sure what reaction she was expecting. 

Add to that, I'm not sure why she thought I'd be pleased that his marriage broke down. We had a beautiful relationship and he was a wonderful man who always treated me nicely. The only reason we broke up is because I was very young and I knew that I needed to grow as a person before I could commit my life to someone. If we'd met when I was older I dare say we would have got married. So why would anyone think that I would wish him any unhappiness? Maybe because after we broke up he and his now ex wife spent 12 months stalking and abusing me until I put a restraining order on them. However that was a long time ago and it's all in the past, it certainly doesn't mean I hold any ill will towards them.

3. Speaking of things I don't understand, I've never got the whole Coming Out thing. Why does society think that homosexual people should declare their sexuality? I wasn't required to come out as a heterosexual so I don't see why homosexuals should come out. It's no-ones business what another persons sexual preference is. I just don't get it. Never have, never will. 
4. I bought an air fryer a few weeks ago, it's all sorts of awesome. We don't often eat fried food so it's really nice being able to have healthy, low fat chips. It can also bake, roast and do other tricky things. The best $98 I've spent in a long time. I'm told I can also make apple crumble in it, this is a good but very dangerous thing.

5. There was a big fuss in Perth this month when a video of a woman on a packed train refusing to move her possessions off the seat next to her so a pregnant woman could sit down was published on social media. The comments on the post were quite amazing too. Several people said that "being pregnant is a choice" and other such comments. That's true, however what about manners? When I was pregnant I caught public transport five days a week and was only offered a seat twice.

On a weekly basis people would push and bump my belly in an effort to get on the train before me. One morning a man barged past me and another pregnant woman to get the last vacant seat. 

I found this comment (from a woman) particularly interesting: having a baby is a lifestyle CHOICE - while I agree the young woman should not have taken up the seat next to her with her files etc, I see no reason why she (or anyone else) should give up their seat to a pregnant woman. It's bad enough we taxpayers will go on funding her child for the next 18 years or more. Personally if you can't afford to raise your kid yourself, don't have one. (And FYI, I'm child-free and in my 50s.)

If anyone knows how to get the taxpayer to fund my child/children for the next 18 years please tell me.

I'd like to think that people could be polite and considerate. If my grandfather was on the train I'd hope that someone would offer him their seat. 

Every week I used to see a lovely old gentleman get on the train. He was frail and had trouble walking yet he was never offered a seat. He'd stand on the train, swaying and having trouble keeping his balance whilst perfectly able people sat in the priority seats and pretended not to see him. It was shameful.

6. I turned 40 this month. It wasn't a big deal. 

7.  I'm struggling to come up with more thoughts for this month. I like to have ten thoughts, ten is a nice even number. It's not happening though.

8. You all need to buy some Mother Earth Baked Oaty Slices

9. This video by Vivianna Does Make-Up is super cute. 

10. Try as I might I've got nothing for number ten. So you'll just have to make do with this picture. 
Image credit
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!