Wednesday 20 February 2013

Pregnancy - How I survived the first trimester

The first trimester of a pregnancy is tough. It was tough with Chai and this time it was even tougher cause I couldn't rest when I felt sick or tired. Add to that 24/7 morning sickness and I was not a happy girl. Thankfully, there were a few products that helped me get through.

Audra James special morning sickness blend - In desperation I emailed Audra and asked if she could make me a blend to help with my morning sickness. I initially asked her for a balm that I could use on my lips as I wanted something to sniff and an oil to rub on my pulse points. Audra made them both in the one product! 

She made me a roller ball that I can use on my lips, pulse points and as a light perfume. Amongst other things it contained ginger and spearmint, both products recommended for morning sickness. By some miracle Audra knew that I couldn't stand the smell of ginger (even though I didn't tell her), so the oil has a lovely, light spearmint scent. I didn't go anywhere without my Audra blend, it was usually in my pocket and it worked really well. Whilst it didn't get rid of the morning sickness it make me feel a lot better and able to function.

Preggie Pop Drops from iHerb - When I was pregnant with Chai I sucked on salted pretzels and ginger to help with morning sickness. This time I couldn't stand salt or ginger, so I got some Preggie Pop Drops. I'm not sure if it was the placebo effect or not, but these helped. I'd suck on one when I was feeling really bad and it'd stop me being sick. I still felt sick, but at least I wasn't actually sick. 

If you haven't ordered from iHerb before, what are you waiting for? They have thousands of amazing products at a really cheap price. If you use discount code YUF175 you will get a discount on your first order.

A'kin Aromatherapy Lavender shower gel from EchoLife - Audra sent me a link to an article that said the Duchess of Cambridge (is that her title? I'm talking about Kate Middleton) was eating lavender shortbread to help with her morning sickness. I was unable to find any lavender shortbread so started using my A'kin Lavender shower gel every morning. It helped a lot. I still felt sick, but it was soothing and made me feel a little less sick.

I also changed my skin care and deodorant as my skin was dry, my armpits were especially sensitive and I couldn't stand any fragrances. 

I used Bio Oil to prevent stretch marks. This isn't my preferred oil however I had a bottle of it and it's fragrance free, so I used it.  Now that I've finished my bottle I won't be repurchasing it, I have a bottle of Audra's Belly Oil to use.

For deodorant I used Dr Organic and Natural Scents. They both work well, however I find that in 40 degree heat the Dr Organic deodorant is more effective. I'm currently trialling a shower gel/body spray combo that Audra James made for me so I'll let you know how that goes. 

On my face I switched to Kosmea 8th Natural Wonder serum and Garnier BB Cream. 

As you can see from the photo above, I really couldn't be bothered putting on make-up, so the Garnier BB Cream made me look semi decent and helped to even out my skin tone. The Kosmea serum is light, inoffensively fragranced and makes my skin feel lovely. 

That, along with acupuncture is how I survived my first trimester. If anyone has any other tips, please post them in the comments below.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!