Saturday, 24 September 2011

Bub Update

Last weekend we moved bub into his own room. It was something we'd been discussing for a while and that hubby had wanted to do for a few months. I'd resisted because I don't want to be getting up to bub all the time, it's much easier to reach over and get him out of his cot than it is to get out of bed and go into his room. Plus, I like him sleeping next to me, I know he's safe and can check on him whenever I want. I'd planned on keeping him in our room for twelve months, however after a two week growth spurt that saw me getting up to bub every two hours I knew that we had to move him into his own room for the sake of our sleep and our sanity.

Moving him felt really strange. Setting up his room was fun but thinking about my little boy sleeping in there all on his own was upsetting, and seeing our room without his cot in it didn't look right. Our room looked bare and empty. Thankfully we have a sleep alarm so I didn't have to worry about him being  okay. If it wasn't for the alarm I probably would have been checking on him all night.

When it came time to go to bed I made sure bub was settled in his room then went to bed and had the best sleep I've had in ages. I got up to feed bub three times, however in between feeds I slept really well. It turns out the reason I slept so well is that hubby was getting up to bub! Other than when he was first born, hubby has not gotten up to bub at night, so it was lovely to have him help out. After getting very little sleep that night due to looking after bub, hubby has finally realised how exhausted I've been the last six months, so has been helping out at night on the weekends, which is great. It's amazing how much better I feel after getting more sleep. 

Bub was quite unsettled the first night in his room and woke up every few hours. We'd been explaining to him all week that he was going to move into his own room but that didn't seem to help (which is not surprising considering he's only six months old). I spent some time during the day playing with him and feeding him in his room to get him used to it and make it more familiar to him.

It's nice to have our room back. We don't have to creep around the room when we want to go to bed, we can turn the light on, watch tv, talk etc without having to worry about waking bub. I didn't realise how much I'd missed being able to get ready for bed in my own room. I feel a bit like my right arm is missing not having bub there, but I know this is a step we have to take. 

The second night of bub being in his own room was even worse. He woke up every hour and wanted to feed every two hours. 

The third night he slept for nine hours straight! He's only done that once before. I managed to get five hours sleep in a row, which was bliss. It could have been six hours but I woke up to check on him and as I was just about to fall asleep again bub woke up for a feed.
Since then his sleeping has been good some nights and not so good other nights, but it's getting a lot better. I'm relieved about that because it shows that bub was ready to move into his own room, we must have been disturbing his sleep with all our rustling and moving around.

He's such a beautiful little baby. He's really happy and easy going, but very determined at the same time. At the moment he's trying to crawl. He gets on his hands and knees and rocks backwards and forwards. He's figured out that he can launch himself forwards to get things, but it means that he often face plants. Thankfully he is tough and doesn't usually hurt himself (plus I make sure there is nothing hard for him to land on).

Hubby and I have decided that I'm not going back to work and I'm really happy with that decision. I hate the thought of someone else looking after him so I'm glad that won't be happening.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!