Wednesday 3 August 2011

Satisfied or always searching for something better?

I've been doing a bit of thinking lately, I have lots of time to think whilst I'm feeding bub. Naturally, I think about cosmetics and beauty products quite a lot. One of the things I've been thinking about quite a bit is the constant search for something better. I do this all the time. I'll find a product that I really like and that works well for me, then when it runs out I'll buy something different. Often I won't like the new product as much, so I'll use it for a little while and then buy something else again, instead of going back to the product that I liked. That got me thinking about why I do this.

I think one of the reasons is that there are always new products being released. There's always the possibility that there really is something better available as technology is always changing and there are always new innovations. 

I suppose another reason is that I rarely find anything that is truly amazing. If/when I find something that's truly amazing I do buy it over and over again (a perfect example of this is Neutrogena sunscreen. It's the only sunscreen I use now as it's non greasy and doesn't irritate my skin).

I wonder if it's human nature to never be satisfied and always seek out something better. I suppose it's quite similar to seeking out new adventures and experiences. 

6 comments :

  1. I think about this quite a bit too. Apart from what you've mentioned, i think it is the hunting and gathering aspect - chasing something down just to have it and the thrill is in the purchase, not the use. Overall I'm trying to buy less and shop what I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post made me realise that I come under the 'Satisfied' section. For example, my collection 2000 concealer; I really like it and have just run out and I remember thinking to myself "Must pick some more of that up next time", instead of "Maybe I'll look for a new, possibly better concealer". Crazy, lol.

    www.fortheloveofallthingsgirly.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are right in that there is such a large selection. Even when I find something great, I typically want to try other things. This is most prevelent for me at least with skin care, which really is diffrent from person to person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think part of my cosmetic obsession is the quest for the perfect product, but I'm fairly certain I'd keep looking even if I found it, because I love the novelty of new products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very true. I do have some favourites which I either always keep on hand, or always come back to if something I've tried doesn't work out. (Top repurchases for me are Murad Soothing Gel Cleanser, Smashbox High Def Concealer, Kit 30+ Sunscreen, Clinique Face & Body Sunscreen, Eles Liquid Mineral Foundation, NARS Sheer Glow and Laguna) - however I love nothing more than reading about new products and trying them out! I mean otherwise, how boring would it be to use the same thing, day in, day out, for the rest of our lives? I think it is partly the hunting and gathering aspect and partly the need for change and excitement in various forms.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I was thinking about this the other day too... Even if I find a cream I like, I'm always buying new ones, just in case they're better, and I'm always trying new lip balms, even though I already have so many good ones. I guess it's just human nature to something newer or better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!