Friday 26 August 2011

Losing the baby weight - My weight loss journey

Since having bub I find myself in a situation I've never been in before. I'm overweight. I am very fortunate to be naturally thin. I've never had to diet or watch my weight in the past, so this is all new to me. Whilst I was pregnant I put on 30kg's. According to the Dr about 10 kg's of that was fluid. In the end he stopped weighing me because he said that due to all the fluid my weight wasn't an accurate measure of how much weight I was actually gaining. Fluid or not, I still have a lot of weight to lose. As I've never had to lose weight before I'm not really sure how to go about it, but I figure I just need to eat less and exercise more.

The first time I weighed myself after I'd had bub was at the three week mark and I'd lost 17kg's. The next time I weighed myself was around the twelve week mark and I'd put on 4kg's. At that stage I really didn't care. It wasn't until bub was four months old that I felt ready to start exercising and to do something about getting back to my normal weight.

I've been weighing myself weekly and watching what I eat for about four weeks now and I've lost around 6kg's. The last two weeks I've lost 700 grams per week and that is with minimal exercise. I try to go out walking every second day, however for the last two weeks I've only managed to go out once a week. The main change I've made that's enabled me to lose weight is portion control and cutting down on sugar. I still have chocolate every day, I just don't have as much as I used to. And instead of snacking on whatever I find in the cupboard I now snack on healthy things (like fruit or nuts or tuna) and only when I'm hungry.

I don't have a particular reason for writing this post, I'm just using it as a way to keep a record of how my weight loss is going. This week my weight is 72.2 kg's. My goal weight is 62kg's however I'll be happy when I get to 65kg's. I'm going to be so excited when I'm under 70kg's as I really don't like my weight being in the 70's, it's a mental thing.

4 comments :

  1. Congratulations on your hard work and your loss. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat. I put on 20kgs when I was pregnant and am now on a mission to lose all my baby weight. I've still got a long way to go as it's been the hardest weight I've ever had to shift but determination will get me there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! good luck, even the smallest weight loss makes a difference so keep persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your discipline will really help you to reach your goals.

    I had the opposite situation to you. I had shocking morning sickness for 32 weeks plus got gestational diabetes so was on a really strict diet which meant that i only ended up putting on 4kgs during pregnancy. This stressed me out no end, as I was terrified my baby would be tiny but out popped this 3.5kg healthy little thing. So weight loss initially wasn't an issue for me and by 2 weeks I'd lost 8kgs. But breast feeding made me so incredibly ravinous that I got into some really bad eating habbits. I think also the freedom of being able to eat whatever I wanted after the strict diabetic diet sent me a bit carb crazy. So though I initially lost th weight easily, I have since put back on more so that I now weigh the same as what I did when I was 9 months pregnant. The skin on my tummy is still lose and i am carrying the extra weight there which is really frustrating me.

    Look up a low GI diet. That is the diet that I went on whilst pregnant and it is actually incredibly healthy. Thats what i am planning on going back on, though not as strictly as when i was pregnant. Another tip is to prepare you meals and snacks in advance so you always know what to eat when your hungry. I find if i wait until i am starving i'll grab something crap, but if i have a meal plan and i am feeling peckish at 11.00, I know its yoghurt time so im not so tempted to eat crap.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!