Tuesday 24 March 2009

YSL Touche Eclat


Touche Eclat is one of those cult products that everyone seems to love, but I really don't understand why. It is a nice product, but I don't think it's worth the price, especially when other brands make very similar products at a much cheaper price. I've tried and tried this, but just can't see what the fuss is about. I've followed video's from the YSL site, you tube video's and tutorials, but still fail to see why people think this is amazing.

Firstly, I think it needs to be made clear that Touche Eclat is a highlighting pen. As a concealer I don't find it effective, but used as a highlighter it works well. I use mine on my dark circles, over the top of concealer. It also works well under concealer. For those of you who don't have really dark circles it'd probably work well as a concealer.

It's also great to use around the nose, along the brow bone, and in other areas where you want to get rid of shadows and add some light.

One thing that I really dislike about Touche Eclat is how quickly it goes off. I've had two of these, and both of them have gone off within six months. One went very smelly, and the other one went smelly and the brush got mouldy. I'm really careful with my products, I keep them in a cool, dry place and clean them regularly, so can't figure out why these went off so quickly.

Here's what YSL has to say about Touche Éclat: Radiant Touch, Instant highlighter. The best selling must - have take-anywhere pen-brush for adding a touch of light or banishing shadows and signs of fatigue from the eye area, the hollow of the chin, the contour of the lips and the sides of the nose.

The YSL website has a video showing how to use Touche Eclat, you can see that video here.

Would I buy this again? No, I've bought it twice, and the one that I currently have was given to me by a friend, but I just don't think it's worth the money. Especially when much cheaper versions are available from The Body Shop and Maybelline.

Ingredients: aqua, cyclomethicone, glycerin, talc, paraffinum liquidum, peg/ppg-18/18, dimethicone, magnesium sulfate, trideceth-3, methicone, methylparaben, squalane.

6 comments :

  1. I actually like this product but I agree about them turning - I went to use mine today and it smelled of wet dog, really disappointing that I didn't even get the chance to use this up before it turned on me. I will probably repurchase though as I miss it already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GQ which Maybelline and TBS concealers are like this one? I've currently got Loreal touche magique which I think is really similar too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elmo, the Maybelline concealer is the Instant Age Rewind one with the concealer on one end and the highlighter on the other. The concealer is really good, and the highlighter works the same for me as Touche Eclat does. This is the link:
    http://www.maybelline.com.au/PRODUCTS/Face/CONCEALER/Instant_Age_Rewind_Face_Perfector.aspx

    The Body Shop one is called Lightening Touch, and to me it's identical to the YSL one. Here's the link to it:
    http://www.thebodyshop.com.au/Product.aspx?Id=159

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many good things about this product, it's interesting to hear a different opinion. I'm using a similar concealer from la prairie and it works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks GQ - I'll have to go check them out! I like the double ended maybelline one - saves some space in the makeup bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I brought mine off Strawberry Net about a month ago and after the first use felt very neutral about it. I agree that I didn't find it very concealing and it does wear well as a highlighter however, I seem to be reaching for other products over it.
    Im really loving the Rimmel Colour Match Concealer - works well for me :)

    http://beautysoiree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks so much for your comment!